Wednesday, April 29, 2009

To love like a dog...

It was my birthday yesterday. I'm now 20 years old. Still the same person, just older. I was hoping age would change me, but I'm still the same. Oh well, change is a process.

I must say, it was my best birthday ever. I had everything I needed before I even started my day. I had people who love me. Love is all that really matters in life. People who are dirt poor but have love are still rich in my eyes. And besides, money gets in the way of things..

But the awesome thing about yesterday, was that it was essentially "my day." If my friend was playing hip-hop in her car on our way to lunch, I could have her change it-because it was my birthday. Basically any special request could have the excuse "but it's my birthday!" On top of that, I felt so loved. Ridiculously loved. People showed me special attention, I got cards with sweet notes, and my professor decided to cancel class (...okay...not for me. he did it anyways).

I wondered why I don't treat everyone like it's their birthday, all the time. Love people the way God loves me; all the time, and fiercely. Although it's impossible to relate God's love for us to anything on earth, I think it could be related to the way my dog loves me.

Riley is the most annoying, fun, happy, and loving creature I've ever had. But what's cool is that his reaction is the same towards me every time I see him. He gets this huge, teeth-filled grin and runs (sometimes jumps) up to me. He can't get enough of me. He doesn't care how badly I messed up that day, he doesn't care how much stuff I accomplished, how much money I made, how much money I lost...he's just happy to see me. He loves me no matter what.

Riley's love pales in comparison to God's love though. Which is infinitely more awesome.

But what if I treated everyone that way. Loved them fiercely when they annoy me, make me mad, hurt someone that I love, hurt me, etc. What if you did that? How different our lives would be..

1 comment:

  1. I really should have trademarked that whole "love fiercely" saying... Not sure if you noticed, but you tend to copy me! ;p I would like to think that I love you in the same way Riley loves you... Like in you last paragraph: even when you annoy me, make me mad, hurt someone that I love, hurt me... :D I wuv you Kevin Lassiter and have really enjoyed your recent blogs! Your soul seems lighter with the knowledge and experience of God's love for you.

    ReplyDelete