I think I should write a blog that isn’t super serious or spiritual some time. Just not this one…
I read something this week that I haven’t been able to get out of my head, but I hadn’t been able to figure out why. I think I realized it about 10 minutes ago. Let me give some context first.
The last few months, I’ve felt the closeness of God and been able to hear His voice. It’s been simply wonderful to sit down, rest, and hear Him at almost any time. The last month or so has been different though. I’ve been praying and waiting, but not really hearing Him speak. I’ve been reading and resting, but not feeling his closeness. I’ve been wondering if it’s something I’ve done, or maybe even something I’m not doing right.
So I’ve been in this funk for a few weeks now. I was at a cabin this weekend and read this. It’s about the prophet Elijah running away, and sort of looking for God…
There he came to a cave and lodged in it. And behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and he said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” He said, “I have been very jealous for the Lord, the God of hosts. For the people of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword, and I, even I only, am left, and they seek my life, to take it away.” And he said, “Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper (or a thin silence). And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
I’ve been waiting to hear God in the earthquakes and the fires, but I haven’t been waiting for God in the silence. I think what God is showing me is this: even if he’s not shaking your world, or giving you a burning passion, he’s there in the calm and in the silence.
So I’m okay with that. May you find peace in whatever season of faith you’re in, and may you never forget that God loves you, holds you, and will never let you go.

My favorite blog of yours so far! It really spoke to me too :) thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAwesome. My pastor said one day, that the reason God doesn't necessarily speak in the earthquakes and the fire, but rather in the still, small voice is because He simply wants you that close. Close enough to hear even the faintest whisper.
ReplyDeleteIncredible, Kevin! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDelete