Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I hope this makes sense..


Hello world.

So I’m back in school now, officially done with Christmas break. The break was incredible for me. I got to sleep in, read, drink coffee, and rest for a healthy amount of time.  I also got to catch up with friends, meet new ones, and grow deeper with others.

My mind has recently changed regarding something in my life. I’ve always, for reasons unknown to me, been the type to pray for some certain change, but never act on it. Like: “God make me more caring/loving” or something of the sort, but never actually finding out what it truly means to be loving or caring… Or praying for my future, but not necessarily acting to help line things up in my future. I hope this is making sense, because I feel like it’s not.

Recently, I’ve decided that I want to change areas of my life or strive toward things in my future actively. I wanted to be a dentist, so I applied myself and now I’m in dental school. That kind of thing.

So I’ve been doing this with almost every area of my life. It’s actually quite surprising to see some changes. I want to be more outgoing as a person, so now I’m on the “Community Committee” in my college group, and I know almost everyone there. I’ve been more of a quiet leader, so I wanted to be a better outgoing leader, so I’m now a small group leader at the same college group. I’m learning to become a better leader by guiding discussions and such as. I want to get married one day. Naturally one cannot get married unless there is a “significant other” in their life. So I’m kind of figuring out what that means for me. I don’t really know yet. I’m still exploring that I guess J
I’ve never really been in a “relationship” or anything. Yeah, I went out with a girl last summer, but it didn’t materialize into anything. I guess it was in summer of 2008, because it’s a new year now. I’m getting old lol.

I’m excited about life though. I’m excited to be growing in my faith. I’m a completely different person than I was 12 months ago. I’m excited to be in dental school, and learning about awesome stuff. I know I’m called to be a dentist as a profession, but I also know I’m called to be more than a tooth doctor. I have a greater calling on my life, but I’m not too sure what that is. I feel like God has this incredible plan for my life, but it’s still in the making. Maybe the decisions I make now will affect where that goes. Maybe being a dentist will give me the means (whether networking, finances, opportunities, or whatev) to get there.

I think what I’ve realized is this: I want people to look back at my life and say, “There was a man who listened to God’s calling on his life, and acted on it.” I think the best place to be is where God has you right now. I think all we can ever really do is act on the situation presented to us. Some people pass up opportunities, but I’m done with that. I’m tired of passing up on things because I don’t know if that’s where God wants me to go. If God doesn’t want me there, He’ll find a way to guide me away from it. One thing I do know is that I want to go on this adventure with someone by my side…and I don’t know who that is unless act on that also.


So I’m acting on things right now. That’s where I’m at.

My encouragement to you is to look and listen for what God has for you right now, and in the future. Don’t pass up opportunities now because you don’t know if it’s where you’re supposed to go. We plan our ways, but God directs our paths. Just start going and God will take you from there. He has amazing things in store for you :)




Peace.

7 comments:

  1. you know you can link this with your facebook so you don't have to update your status on facebook telling everyone to read your blog every time you post a new blog right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote you "I hope this is making sense, because I feel like its not"... makes sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - I saw you comment on one of my friends blogs about a verse in John, checked out your page & could not resist commenting on this! You see, the beginning of your entry where you mention being unsure if you're making sense... it's exactly what was spinning through my head throughout my day today (therefore, it DOES make sense... to me!).

    I've also been struggling with trying to hear God's voice about where I should be within the next few years. I most significantly struggle with finding some sort of a balance between acting on things myself and allowing God to work and speak to me. "Let go & let God" is a quote that's streamed through my churches, schools, youth groups, etc. throughout my entire life. But we should also realize that we cannot be lazy, and have to be active in our faith. It's a push a pull, a fight to find a balance, that I've been struggling with for a while.

    As long-winded as this all may be, I wanted to respond for two reasons:

    1.) To let you know you're not alone in your struggle, thoughts, questions - that internet vindication most bloggers are looking for :)

    2.) To encourage you to keep questioning your faith like this. I've always wanted to feel satisfied in myself and my faith - but in reality, the moment we become satisfied there's nothing to look forward to, nowhere to grow, nothing new to experience or become.

    3.) To tell you about this book that I just got from a friend! It's called "Just Do Something" by Kevin DeYoung. If you're looking for a read in your spare time, I'm thinking this may be something worthwhile. Haven't read it yet, but I'm about to start tonight!

    ...I realize this is a long note from a stranger... but why the heck not! :)

    Take care,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, I think you're making sense in not making sense. Because, that's what it is all about. Following Him. and in doing so, what I've learned is that life DOESNT make sense. But that's the beauty of it all. because it makes sense to Him. He knows the path, beginning to end (jeremiah 1:5) and definitely is the only one that I'd trust to know it. It's so complex that not even I want to know it.. Your life is beautiful, embrace the beauty that He's given you. He'll lead you to where you're needed.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff bro! I'm glad that God has allowed me to be a part of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very wise words kev kev :)
    thank you for that encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete