So our road trip has started. I’m glad to be out of Arizona. Our first destination was Las Vegas. We made our way over the Hoover Dam, which was absolutely incredible. The engineering that went into that is astounding. I think we saw a Transformer too, not sure though. About an hour later we arrived in Vegas. A word that I would use to summarize the town would be “interesting.” We only ventured to the “strip” and not the outlying city. I’ll be talking about the strip, since that’s the only place we were.
The name “Sin City” is very fitting. Just driving in, I began to feel dirty and defiled. It is such a contrast to the “soccer mom” dominated Gilbert (Arizona). The inside of our hotel wasn’t nearly as bad as the rest of the strip.
The town seemed almost atheistic: a town where people either deny or “forget about” God while they indulge in every sinful passion and instinct. It reminded me of the movie Pinocchio, when the kids went to Pleasure Island. They were drawn in by the “adult” things to do, and by the convincing grown ups asking them to come in. eventually they got turned into circus animals and were sold. I think Vegas turns humans into animals. Not literally of course, but figuratively. I think the subdued animal in people comes out. Oh well. Pray for the town if you think about it.
On to better things, we’re now making our way through Utah.
I saw God (“beautiful” doesn’t describe it enough). We even traveled through a mile long tunnel, which had multiple openings that were blasted out of the side so we could observe the canyon while driving through the tunnel. Absolutely incredible. Now we’re driving by open grasslands, and a mountain with snow melting on the top. A mountain, at the end of May, with snow on top? Yes. It’s cool.
I’m on this trip with my cousin, Britton, and my grandpa, Eddie. For the first leg of the trip, he turned to me (I was driving), and asked if I would like to hear what his 20th year consisted of. I said “yes” hastily. He began to describe how he was attending the University of Kentucky, in his first semester there. He transferred from Murray State as a Junior I believe. That was the year he met my grandmother. They met and were engaged within a summer break, (listening, I was secretly crossing my fingers haha). When my cousin awoke in the back seat, he talked about his 21st year in detail. The story actually lasted us about 4 hours. It was great! Today, he talked about his rules on finances.
1) Always live within your means. Basically, don’t spend more than you make. Adjust your spending habits, and not your working habits.
2) Never borrow money to invest in a depreciating asset (i.e. cars, furniture, etc…). Houses and education were the 2 things that he supported in taking out loans for.
I’m glad he’s telling us these things. I need to hear these.
We’re already having a load of fun also. For some reason, I’m the only person in the car who notices when the blinker isn’t turned off, and it REALLY bothers me. Literally, more than 20 times I’ve had to say “blinker” before my grandpa realizes that it’s on. It’s become a laughing matter in the car now. Nothing ever get’s done right unless I do it. Ha. Not.
This trip looks very promising. We’re on our second day, and I’m already LOVING the way it’s progressing. I’m usually tired of road trips, but I realize that I’m only tired of road trips in Arizona. It’s not every day I get to drive through grasslands with snow-covered mountains surrounding me. And we’re in an almost new Cadillac too ☺ . We’re about 50 miles outside Salt Lake City as I finish this. Tomorrow we’re off to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, then Yellowstone National Park. This should be exciting! I can’t imagine how many pictures I’ll have when this trip is over.
I love you guys, come back for more updates. Pray for safety and a time of growth, both relationally and spiritually.
Peace love and prosperity
That's awesome bro! Sounds like a good trip. I miss how beautiful it is up there! You'll get to see Old Faithful up in Yellowstone. Haha, it's probably not as cool as I used to think it was. Cheers.
ReplyDeletesounds like your having a good time all in all !!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGah! Thief!!! You steal things m'dear :D I LOVED this one. I think that this blog illustrates the way you usually communicate with me -- which makes you not being here not as difficult! I totally agree with your thoughts on Vegas -- the word I picked out for that town was barbaric. I love you dearly (even when you mock my attempt at a Star Trek quote) and I'll talk to you soon. Byes! <3
ReplyDelete