Tuesday, January 25, 2011

noise

I felt convicted this past weekend that I have too much noise in my life.


When I think of noise, I think of it as anything and everything that I’m focused on at any given time. I wake up and think about breakfast, then school for 8 hours, then blast music for a while, then think about dinner, then think about studying, and then I go to bed. There is always something taking up my time and thoughts. I’m not quite the person I’m used to being.

What about rest?

What about taking time to remember Him who brought me here, or why I’m here, or what I’m supposed to be doing here?

I feel lukewarm… complacent… apathetic.  I think that’s a dangerous place to be in.

Someone said, “Hate isn’t the opposite of love; apathy is. It’s better to hate God because at least you feel something towards him.”

So yeah, I felt convicted of my lukewarmness and the level of noise in my life. I can hear God speak to me when the noise in my life goes down.

And he [God] said, “Go out and stand on the mount before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

I want to hear God like I used to; I want to be passionate about His love like I used to. So I’m taking steps towards that. I spend so much time online it’s not even funny. I drown out my thoughts with music. I don’t give myself enough time to relax and reflect. These things are going to chance.

I am cutting back on a lot of online stuff that I waste time on; I’m cutting out music for a while (park of being quiet and still); and I’m going to do more praying, reading, and talking with God. Let’s see how this goes…

Jesus says, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.”

I’m going to trust Him on this one…

2 comments: